As everyone probably knows, there are few things I love more than waking up slowly on the weekends, having a cup of coffee, and getting ready for the day. It's also the only time of the week where I have the cahance to eat something other than yogurt in the mornings, so I always look forward to having a warm, homemade breakfast. I tried out this breakfast sandwich mainly as a way to use up some random things we had in the fridge, but Harley has been requesting it every weekend since! I've never been able to come up with recipes off the top of my head, but this is so simple that I would barely consider it a recipe at all. I love a sweet and spicy combination, and this comes together so well!
- 2 pieces of bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice cheese (or shredded cheese, whatever you have on hand really!)
- Sliced deli turkey
- Tapatio hot sauce
- Salt & pepper
- Scramble the eggs with salt and pepper (and a splash of milk if you want). Pour into a nonstick pan over medium heat. I fry them up almost like an omelette because it makes eating the sandwich much easier!
- Toast the bread and spread jam on one piece. Lay a piece of cheese on the other.
- When the eggs are cooked, place them onto the bread with the cheese on it to start the melting process.
- Add turkey to the skillet, and cook until warmed. Place on top of eggs.
- Sprinkle Tapatios (or any hot sauce, really) on top, then assemble sandwich!
One thing I like about this is that you can customize it to taste different based on what you have on hand! We typically have whole wheat bread, pepper jack cheese, and apricot jam, but honestly you could do this with any other variation of those as well! I also think it would be great with some sliced honey ham or bacon, or some sourdough. Overall it's the perfect quick and tasty breakfast!